2012年6月5日星期二

The Life I Pursued


That must be the story of innumerable couples, and the pattern of life it offers has a homely grace. It reminds you of a placid(平静的,温和的) rivulet(小溪,小河) , meandering(漫步) smoothly through green pastures and shaded by pleasant trees, till at last it falls into the vastly sea; but the sea is so calm, so silent, so indifferent, that you are troubled suddenly by a vague(模糊的) uneasiness(不安,担忧) .
Perhaps it is only by a kink(扭结,奇想) in my nature, strong in me even in those days, that I felt in such an existence, the share of the great majority, something amiss(有毛病的,有缺陷的) . I recognized its social value. I saw its ordered happiness, but a fever in my blood asked for a wilder course.
There seemed to me something alarming in such easy delights. In my heart was desire to live more dangerously. I was not unprepared for jagged(锯齿状的) rocks and treacherous(奸诈的,叛逆的) ,shoals(浅滩,沙洲) it I could only have change-change and the excitement of unforeseen.

没有评论:

发表评论

  • http://perfectshowshop.blogspot.com
  • 扎兰屯